Recently (or, perhaps, I recently noticed) my garage fridge started shocking me if I touch it in the wrong place. (A sampling of "wrong" places: the door hinge, a spot on the other corner where the paint is worn off)
The shock is quite severe, definitely not a static discharge.
I bought an outlet tester, which tells me that the outlet that the refrigerator is plugged into has an open ground. Is this enough to make the fridge shock me? I have checked for frayed or damaged wires inside the fridge and didn't find anything.
EDIT: More info: The fridge is currently plugged in to a surge protector, which is plugged in to a plug-in type GFCI, which is plugged into the ungrounded outlet.
EDIT 2: I have since fixed this problem by grounding the outlet in question. I don't know whether this masks a legitimate problem with the refrigerator, or if this was the actual solution, but the bottom line is that it not longer shocks me when I touch it. Thank you everyone for all of your help!