Lighting – What do you call a false ceiling dropped below a main ceiling used for indirect lighting


I'm wanting to provide some character and define our lounge room space with a large flat ceiling that is hung below the main ceiling. The edge of which I can install lighting and create a nice effect like below:

enter image description here

But I'm having trouble with the terminology. What do you call this? If I google drop ceiling or suspended ceiling what I come up with is pictures of the traditional suspended ceiling you find in office spaces that hide pipework and air conditioning ducts etc.

In addition, in finding out what this is called how would I go about constructing it? I don't want something too heavy or expensive to construct.

Best Answer

These are referred to as ceiling clouds or architectural ceiling clouds.