Wiring – How to safely connect EU (220-240v) induction cooktop in the USA


enter image description hereenter image description hereenter image description hereIs it possible to safely connect European made (for European market) Bosch Induction 2 burner cooktop, 3700w, 220-240v, 50/60Hz in the USA? Cooktop connection diagram comes in 3 wires: brown, blue and green/yellow. Is it safe to connect brown (EU) to black (US), blue (EU) to red (US) and green/yellow (EU) to green (US) or is there a better/safer way to wire it?

Best Answer

First, the US, most countries, and now all countries worldwide have harmonized on safety ground being bare, green, or yellow w/ green stripe. So that's easy. Done.

You will need a letter from Bosch either indicating approval by UL (or some other NRTL) or saying something that will satisfy your AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction). This will be required for your permitted work to pass inspection. If you do the work unpermitted, then you are likely to have problems at sale time when the buyer's home inspector spots the alien range and asks questions. It will also be needed to defend your fire insurance should an incident arise which seems related. Consequences for unpermitted work can be severe and have been known to blindside DIYers.

I know the paperwork seems like a lot of nonsense, but state law (NEC) and UL are surrogates for the interests of the fire insurer and mortgage lender. It is, after all, called "Underwriters' Laboratories". However your interests are served also by defining a "bright line" standard for which appliances and work are approved. Convoluted, dragged out, subjective lawsuits are expensive for both sides!

The upshot is that shipping electrical appliances across an ocean (unless it's the Indian Ocean) is usually a bad idea.

As far as the cabling, what's in your walls is a correct and modern 10/3 w/ground intended for a high-end home with a 30A circuit for a cooktop OR oven. (it can't power a combo range-oven typically 40-50A). Ovens need neutral for the oven light. Ranges generally don't need it. Euro ranges definitely don't need it. Simply cap it off and leave it for future use.

However I see a 12/2 NM-B "Romex" cable being used as an extension cord. That's right out. a) it's too small for a 30A circuit, b) it's not cordage (which needs to flex, so must be fine stranded wire), and c) the white wire is not marked to indicate its use as a hot. That marking is especially important around novices, because wouldn't it make sense to attach white to white? If you use black-white-green cordage mark the white wire with red phase tape. Boom, it all makes sense!