Learn English – A word or term for someone who likes to insult other people


I'm wondering if there's a word or term for a person who looks for an opportunity to insult and berate other people.

I'm sure you've all been there; you're using an online public forum, like Facebook, to voice an opinion. There's always that one person who gets completely offended, or they take things completely out of context. They then proceed to publicly scold and shame you – excessively, it seems. It makes you wonder if maybe they're just looking for something to complain about, or if they enjoy being abusive? Maybe they just get a kick out of making you look bad, and want everyone else to dislike you?

"Troll" and "butthurt" seem to fit fairly well, but I was hoping to find a more traditional English equivalent.

Best Answer

Sounds like a bully to me.

A person who uses strength or influence to harm or intimidate those who are weaker:
he is a ranting, domineering bully