Learn English – Does British English use the term “heel” for the end slice of bread


I'm Irish, and hence speak Hiberno-English. Here is a photograph of some sliced bread:

sliced bread

The topmost slice of this (that's crust on the end), is called "the heel". Is this meaning for "heel" understood in British English?

Best Answer

Further to what others have said, I (growing up in London and York) was familiar with heel to mean that slice, but it wasn’t common — the usual term for that slice was the crust. (So crust had a dual meaning for us — both the outside of the bread in general, and the slice at either end that consists mostly of crust.)