Learn English – Name for making the first few words in a chapter small caps


What do you call the style of making the first few words of a chapter (or book, article, etc.) uppercase?

Here is an example from J.D. Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye:

enter image description here

To clarify, I'm not talking about the capitalized "I", which is a lettrine/versal (thanks @ChrisH). It's words immediately following it that I'm asking about.

Best Answer

The name that I'm familiar with (in U.S. publishing) for this style element is lead-in small caps. You can read a discussion of various lead-ins (including lead-in small caps) in an article titled "Designing with Lead-ins" by Ilene Strizver on the Creative Pro website. As Strizver's article notes, an all-cap lead-in can be set in small caps or full-size caps, and the first letter of the first word can be set as a much larger drop cap or a letter in the same font and type size as the rest of the lead-in.