Learn English – term for French words adopted by the English language, such as “hors d’oeuvres” or “objet d’art”


I would call them "Frenchisms" or some such -ism, but I figured I'd at least ask first. So is there a name for such adopted foreign phrases? Also, how about those adopted from languages other than French? Same deal?

I know neologisms are new terms or phrases that have yet to be made official, but that's not so relevant here, since these adopted phrases aren't exactly new.

Best Answer

The term is loan words; I am not aware of any language-specific term other than Latinate words. Loan is a bit of a misnomer, though, for words that have become part of the English lexicon -- we're never giving them back.

Related Topic