Learn English – the technical name for quotes


This should be an easy question to answer.

In my program, I am building a structure which will hold the symbol which identifies a string literal. I want to give the element a meaningful name that will be clear to those coming after me.

My problem is that I can't recall what is the correct technical term for the symbol which denotes a string literal and servers the "quotation" mark function.

My mind keeps going to "delimiter", but I don't think that's correct since that specifies a separation in a list of items.

Best Answer

According to wikipedia the commonly used term is "bracketed delimiter":

Most modern programming languages use bracket delimiters (also balanced delimiters, or quoting) to specify string literals. Double quotations are the most common quoting delimiters used