Learn English – the word for moving your lips without making a sound


Is there an English word to describe the act of moving one's lips as though speaking but without making a sound? One would do this with the expectation that the person he is attempting to communicate with will read his lips.

As an example, if I walk into my boss's office while he is on the phone and he tells me to "wait a sec…" while wrapping up his phone conversation but without the person on the other end of the phone hearing.

Is there a single word for that?

Best Answer

Mouth. For example, you could write, "She mouthed an 'I love you' to him from across the room".