Learn English – What are common word sets for describing ranks in a profession?


What are some sets of words used to describe rank in different professions (music, engineering, science)?

I'm thinking about words similar to novice, amateur, and professional. In the European guild system there were apprentices, journeymen, and master craftsmen.

Best Answer

In our company we use the following:

  • novice/beginner: has had some exposure but needs help.

  • intermediate: has practised enough to be autonomous.

  • senior: can lead in the subject matter. Controls, reviews and approves deliverables.

  • expert: consulted and used as a reference in the subject matter at the delivery unit or company level. Can take part in standardisation bodies.

Assignation of these levels are peer-reviewed on a yearly basis.

Related Topic