Learn English – What do we call the machine used in shops through which we swipe our Debit/Credit card to pay for something


When you shop for things in a supermarket, clothing shop, restaurant, etc., and you want to use your card to pay, you slide your Debit/Credit card through a machine. What is that machine called in English?

Best Answer

In the industry that I had worked in, we call it magnetic strip reader, or magnetic strip card reader.

But lay-customers call it card reader or magnetic card reader.

But apparently, the official technology name is called magnetic stripe reader or magnetic stripe card reader. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_stripe_card.