Learn English – What do you call “intellectual” jobs


Is there a term describe professions that rely on thinking in a broad sense (researcher, software developer, sales person, marketing, HR, etc…) as opposed to jobs that are mostly physical (bouncer, cleaning person, etc…).

I was going for "intellectual" professions, but I don't really like the term as it is offensive to people who I don't include in this category (it implies they are dumb).

Best Answer

How about white-collar?

From M-W:

white-collar: of, relating to, or having the kind of jobs that are done in an office instead of a factory, warehouse, etc.