Learn English – Word for “not putting thought into something”


I'm writing a letter to someone and I want to describe the way a woman talked to me the whole night.

Every time I told her something, I got short answers which had zero thought put into them. Like "oh really?" or "That's nice."

So what would be a good word that I can use to describe putting no thought into something (such as the way one responds)?

Best Answer

The situation you're describing doesn't so much sound like she was putting no thought into her answers, as that she didn't want to have the conversation, and therefore was deliberately not engaging with the conversation, perhaps to send you a signal to stop talking to her.

This style of conversation would be described as dismissive