Our DM gave us what seemed to me to be a very hard encounter so I checked out the DMG to see whats up. Note this was the only encounter of the day and we generally have 1-4 encounters per day.
We are a group of four level 7 players, and we met three frost giants.
The thing is, we crushed them even though they downed some of our party members, and when I looked at the DMG it seemed like the encounter was in the average-hard range for our group if we were level 20, or hard-deadly for our team if we were level 15. He even gave the frost giants some ridiculous version of net with a DC 17 Strength check to get out instead of the normal DC 10.
XP THRESHOLDS BY CHARACTER LEVEL
7th, easy 350, medium 750, hard 1100, deadly 1700
14th deadly 5700
15th hard 4300, deadly 6400
20th medium 5700
Frost giant: Challenge 8 (3,900 XP) Hit Points 138
Please tell me if I am doing something wrong here:
Say we want a deadly encounter for our four level 7 characters.
Determine XP Thresholds
Deadly for level 7 is 1700
Determine the Party's XP Threshold
Total the Monsters' XP
Modify Total XP for Multiple Monsters
The multiplier for 3 – 6 monsters is *2. 11700*2=23400 (23400/4 would be 5850, more than what is budgeted in a deadly encounter for characters with twice our level)
Please help me out here, did I do the calculation correctly and if I did are we somehow ridiculously OP?
Our paladin and cleric had Gauntlets of Ogre Power; our rogue had Bracers of Archery; our fighter had Quiver of Ehlonna
If anyone is curious, the fight went something like this:
- Paladin used Vow of Enmity, hit for a ton of damage. His found steed also critted.
Rogue managed to crit with sneak attack
- Cleric used Spirit Guardians
- Frost giant used net with DC 17 on paladin
- Frost giant dropped the paladin to zero HP in one turn (advantage because of restrained, one crit one hit)
- Frost giant used net on cleric and missed.
- Fighter (ranged) missed and ran away on horse
- Paladin failed death save
- Paladins steed broke out of the net (since paladin was mounted DM trapped both in the net)
- Rogue did normal damage
- Cleric healed the paladin with healing word and used dodge action
- Frost giant killed steed
- Frost giant missed cleric
- Frost giant hit cleric, he survived
- Fighter killed the first of the three giants.
(something will probably be inaccurate)