I got invited to a game of L5R (the role-playing game, not the card game) and I want to know enough about the game to be able to contribute instead of being hauled along. The biggest problem for me is I don't know what it is I don't know.
Now I've never played an RPG before (at least not one that didn't require a computer and further stipulated minimum specifications), but I did attempt to do some research and I even went so far as to acquiring a 4th Edition Rule Book (after first determining this was the correct edition).
Now I sort of understand the rules for their combat system, I get what they mean by keeping dice and exploding dice, and I sort of understand you have Warriors and Mages, but there are a lot of things that are very alien to me. For example:
- The Role of Honor: How it's used, how it's gained, how I should treat it.
- The Role of Courtiers: Both inside and outside of combat (especially outside).
- The Role of Clans: I can tell there is a lot of emphasis here, but I don't really understand its purpose.
- The Role of Artisans and Geisha: Are these "classes"? how do they fit in the game?
- The Different Archetypes which are germane to the setting
I'm even more concerned about everything I should have on this list that I don't even know enough to know I'm missing.