What games are out there that could be played in a single night, with no prep?
I have Spirit of the Century, but it really takes too long to make characters. So, in my opinion, it's great if you've got characters ready in advance but that wasn't the case for me.
But what else is there? To qualify a game must:
- Be recognizable as a tabletop RPG
- Be playable in a single evening's sesson – say 5 hours
- Require no prep from the GM
- Require no prep from the players
By "no prep" I mean the following:
- For GMs: All they'll need to do is have the rulebook and character sheets (or other resources) available. It may be beneficial for the GM to have read the rules prior to play, but I consider knowing a rulebook in-and-out to be prep.
- For players: No. Prep. Period. If you walk into your GM's house all ready to play X and find out that for some reason you're going to play Y, you can't be punished for having not done your homework.