Identify a round kitchen tool with perforated and hinged metal leaves


My old roommate left this in my kitchen before moving out. I can't remember what it is or used for. Is this part of a grill? Does it go in my sink to trap things that shouldn't go down the drain? What is it used for?

Photo of the object

Best Answer

It's a steamer basket.

If you pull the leaves apart it will look like this:

Steamer basket

Then you put it into a saucepan like this:

Steamer in saucepan

You put water into the saucepan (the legs at the bottom keep the bottom of the basket clear of the water). Then you can use it for steaming vegetables, dumplings, etc. You put a lid onto the saucepan to keep the steam in.