Learn English – the correct term for the viewing hole in a door


Doors often have a small hole with a fish-eye lens for security purposes. They are commonly called 'peepholes' but I'm sure I have come across a formal architectural term for this type of aperture, possibly Latin or Greek. I can't find it though!

Best Answer

We had one on the door when I was growing up in the 1960s London and we called it the Vassi. Just checked with my sister and she remembers the same word. Never knew why until I read Hans Adler comment. It was clearly a corruption of vasistas. It was my Grandmother's word as it was her house.