From the casual research I've done, it's assumed to be offensive (like "gyp" for Gypsies), but I've not found anything definitive. I'm also curious when it first entered the language with this meaning and why.
- Learn English – the origin of the slang ‘kicks’ meaning sneakers
- Learn English – The meaning of nailed in the conversation
- Learn English – Where did the 1920s slang word “grungy” (meaning “envious”) originate, if the modern word “grungy” (meaning “dingy”) doesn’t appear until 1965
- Learn English – the origin of the term “crash hot”
- Learn English – Gype or Gyp researching into the origin of this word
- Learn English – What ever happened to “fink”